- This recipe makes approximately four cups (4 x 1 cup serves). Be guided by your surgical team on the serve size appropriate for you, but more importantly, how you feel when you eat. You can easily adapt this recipe to make an appropriate serve size for you.
- If you share the meals with family or friends (without a gastric band), they would generally require two serves of the recipe.
- Larger appetites (family and friends) may enjoy a side serve of pasta.
- After the Gastric Banding Procedure, some people find chicken breast difficult to tolerate, as it can be dry. Try thighs or tenderloins – these are generally moister.
band adjustment blueberries vegetarian potatoes food capsicum heartburn cinnamon lamb mince meat banana beans beetroot drinking calories exercuse laparoscopic muesli breakfast exercising chicken gastric banding success recipes healthy eating incidental exercise nutrition gastric banding middle eastern follow up Gastric Banding Procedure food tips after care fruit infused water psychology vegetables eating with a gastric band pizza FAQs gastric band weight loss diet and nutrition lapband bircher diet exercise family exercise routine cajun obesity recipe chickpeas
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 500g skinless chicken, trimmed of fat, diced e.g. thigh, breast or tenderloin
- 1 tablespoon wholemeal plain flour
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 green capsicum, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 400g no added salt, chopped tinned tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- Dash of Tabasco sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ½ lemon, sliced
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- Spread flour on a clean bench or baking paper. Roll diced chicken in flour.
- Heat a frying pan that has been sprayed with oil. Add chicken to pan and brown lightly. Remove chicken.
- Add onion, garlic, capsicum and celery. Gently cook for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add thyme, basil, Cajun seasoning, bay leaf, Tabasco and pepper. Bring to the boil, then add chicken.
- Cover tightly, and simmer for 40 minutes.
- In the last 15 minutes of cooking add lemon slices.
- Stir through parsley and spring onion just before serving.